Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pump up your e-book sales volume with a product video – Part II

Creating Ideas for your e-book product video
In Part I of Pump up your e-book sales, we discussed the option of creating a product video for an e-book. We also identified one of the main challenges of producing an e-book product video – that of budgetary constraint.

Few, if any, e-book authors have the financial resources to create a product video with high-end production values. Besides, would an e-book with a price tag of only $2.95 be worth the investment? In the short term, the answer would most certainly be no. However, over the lifespan of more than one e-book product, the answer would have to be a resounding yes.

Your initial e-book product video is not so much about drawing attention to a single e-book, but more about bringing audience attention to your brand of writing across a range of e-book subjects. The product video is about getting your name out there, and in this respect investing in a product, a video is well worth the effort.

Getting your name out there into the marketplace is the name of the game, and herein you will find the key to generating ideas for your product video.

The biggest seller of products is not glam or glitz. It is the buyer’s perception of a product’s relative value relative to his or her needs that will make the sale every time. You can wrap up a product in as much tinsel as you want, but, unless it has an emotional connection with your potential buyer, you are not going to make the sale. Emotion and connection (empathy) are what you need to demonstrate in your product video, and the only person who can do that is you. After all, you are the one who gave birth to your e-book, and you did so for a reason.

You might have written your e-book to earn extra cash. Alternatively, your e-book might have been motivated by a hobby or a passion. Whatever the reason for writing and publishing your e-book, it is the initial motivation that drove you to write in the first place that should be the inspiration behind your product video.

About fourteen months ago I wrote an e-book on ‘How to Succeed as a Newbie E-book Author.’ I had no high expectations for my e-book other than to say that I had actually become a published e-book author. I anticipated around three thousand readers for my modest tome if I was lucky. To my surprise, my e-book generated over 17,000 views, and that was with zero promotional effort.

At the time of publication, I had no intention of promoting my e-book beyond posting it on my blog. I was not looking to produce a best seller. Instead, my goal was to see if I could write and publish something that people were prepared to read. As it turned out, I got more readers than I originally anticipated.

Today, if I were looking to promote my first e-book, I would certainly consider putting together a product video based on my passion for writing and on my goal of acquiring three thousand like-minded readers/followers. The product video would not have been so much about the content of my e-book but about my passion for writing, the ability to articulate ideas using the written word. Such a thematic focus for a product video lends itself to an emotional connection between the viewer and the product that I want to sell.

Next article: Choosing content for your product video

No comments:

Post a Comment